18 Aug Rotorua Mural Symposium – 27th Nov to 3rd Dec
The 2017 ‘Mud and Steam’ Mural Symposium will be held at the Rotorua Arts Village Green, 27th November – 3rd December 2017 alongside the recently completed sculpture trail in the Southern Government Gardens, Rotorua. This is a tranquil and picturesque lake-setting commonly used by walkers, runners, family groups, locals, domestic and overseas tourists.
Artists are invited to create a work which reflects the theme of ‘Mud and Steam – New Zealand’s Thermal Wonderland’ – in keeping with Rotorua’s unique physical and cultural environment. All styles – traditional, abstract and contemporary are welcomed.
The Symposium is limited to 8 participants. All selected entries will be given a stipend of $1,000.00 per mural for their appearance over the 7-day event.
At the end of the Symposium, one piece will be selected as the ‘Judge’s Award, with the recipient receiving $10,000.00. All completed murals will be installed within Rotorua’s CBD, becoming a permanent part of the city’s public art collection.
The symposium will be held over 7 days at the Rotorua Arts Village. This is a public event which will attract a wide diversity of people – locals and visitors alike.
Murals must be completed by 12.00pm, Sunday 3rd December. A panel of judges will then assess works and convene to select the award winner. This will be announced at the 3pm closing ceremony.
Murals will be painted on primed aluminium composite panels, each ‘wall’ measures 4.88m wide x 2.44m high. Only Resene Lumbersider low sheen acrylic paints may be used (all paints provided) – these can be applied by brush, roller, spray or airbrush. Where necessary, artists will need to supply a compressor.
- Artists are expected to attend on most days.
- Artists are responsible for their own travel arrangements and costs.
- Accommodation is not provided but every effort to assist in securing appropriate lodgings will be made as required.
- Electricity supplied to sites as required.
- Artists to bring all safety equipment, brushes, tools, tagged electrical equipment and leads, etc.
HOW TO APPLY:
Artist to supply:
- Completed application form with contact details and acknowledgement of terms and conditions
- Good quality digital photograph of 900 x 450mm miniature of proposed work (the miniature version is painted on board and must be displayed at the artist’s site during the symposium.
- An up to 50 word description of the artwork
- Folio examples (up to 5 works) to illustrate previously completed works
- Brief artist bio and digital photograph of the artist for promotional purposes
If the application is successful, a registration form and contract will be sent for completion.
Applications close October 20th 2017