11 Sep Call for Artists/Designs: OUTDOOR ART TRAIL PIECES FOR WAIMANGU VOLCANIC VALLEY
CALL FOR ARTISTS/DESIGNS
OUTDOOR ART TRAIL PIECES FOR WAIMANGU VOLCANIC VALLEY
Waimangu Volcanic Valley is an Iwi owned nature-based tourism business based 20 minutes south of Rotorua. Manuhiri (visitors) can experience it’s unique geothermal wonders, explore a regenerating post-eruption scenic reserve, and learn about the history, the kōrero tuku iho (history) and legacy of the area.
Waimangu is a joint venture partnership of the mana whenua Iwi, Tūhourangi and Ngāti Rangitihi. The Iwi are committed to delivering exceptional, authentic manuhiri experiences through the value infusion of Manaakitanga (hospitality), Kaitiakitanga (stewardship, and Whanaungatanga (family connection), through sharing kōrero tuku iho.
We are proud of our heritage and wish to commemorate our special place by creating an outdoor art trail for manuhiri from across Aotearoa and the world (eventually!) to enjoy. The art trail will feature large scale designs printed and mounted in various spots along its walking trail – designed by local artists.
- Establish an art trail for visitors to Waimangu to enjoy over summer 2020-21
- Create a new feature for visitors to Waimangu
- Create and display works by local artists that help interpret and share the stories of these lands, its history, and values
- To create works that are engaging and fitting.
- Artists/creative practitioners must work within timeframe and design file requirements
- Finalists will be selected from submissions
- To interpret this brief according to your own vision
- Let your creativity shine
- Vision, value, and mission of Waimangu Volcanic Valley
- Local area history and tangata whenua
- Visitor experience/user groups
There will be prize money up for grabs for the winners in two open categories.
- People’s Choice Award $1,500 (decided by votes collected onsite by visitors during the period 24 October 2020 – 31 March 2021)
- Judges Choice Award $1,500 (decided on by a panel of judges)
An art trail is to be established at Waimangu Volcanic Valley featuring 2400×1200 panels with digitally printed artwork/designs featured.
Each design will be digitally printed on vinyl and mounted on one side of the 2400mm length x1200mm height ACM panel (landscape format), and then mounted on to wooden poles in the ground for public display.
Designs must be submitted digitally for consideration by a judging panel before a list of 12 finalists maximum are selected. At the finalist stage a stipend of $100 will be given to each of the finalists.
All designs selected as finalists will become property of Waimangu Volcanic Valley and may be displayed onsite for longer than the initial summer period indicated.
It is hoped that designs would be appropriate to, and reflect the unique qualities of the wider Waimangu Scenic Reserve and incorporate the vision, values, and mission of Waimangu Volcanic Valley.
Timeframes for submissions, selection and installation are geared towards the opening of the art trail 24 October 2020.
Closure for submissions Stage 1: 5pm, Monday, 5 October 2020
Finalists Announced Stage 2: 5pm, Monday, 12 October 2020
Art Trail Open to Public Stage 3: 8:30am Saturday, 24 October 2020
Voting Closes onsite at Waimangu: 5pm Wednesday, 31 March 2021
APPLICATION AND SELECTION INFORMATION
All submissions must be made via email only.
- Confirmation of ability to work within the proposed time schedule
- Digital concept
- Two designs maximum per submission
- Please ensure submissions are in Word or PDF format, with a total file size no larger than 2mb.
- a written concept
- curriculum vitae (CV) of the individual artists
Please note that Waimangu Volcanic Valley also reserves the right to accept all, one or none of the concepts.
Finalists will need to provide a final digital print file in the following format and size
File type – PDF
File size – 300DPI with artwork scaled to suit the full panel 1200x2400mm
Other requirements – 30mm Bleed around the artwork
Please send proposals to: